Blog | Sun Martial Arts

Kids Martial Arts near Concord RSS Feed

  • Confidence is Contagious

    Confidence is Contagious

    Lets talk about developing a Positive Self-Image: What is a Self-Image? Your Self-Image is how you see yourself. It is a subconscious picture you have of yourself. Why is it important? It’s important that you see yourself as someone who CAN, and not someone who CAN’T. Like today, you may have done a kick that was hard, and may have given you a hard time. But if you start telling yourself that you can’t do it – then you are developing a picture in your mind of someone who CAN’T versus someone who CAN. This story tells the importance of your Self Image. There once was a bird that fell out of a nest into a chicken pen. At first, the chickens ....

    Read more
  • Help,  My Child Wont Stand Up To The Bully

    Help, My Child Wont Stand Up To The Bully

    We get this one a lot. Why won’t my child speak up or even fight back. My real belief is that in order to speak up or fight back one has to believe they have the skills to fight back, if it comes to that. This is something that is very hard to fake. Confidence comes from being good at something. I will have confidence at baseball if I am good at it. Same goes for other sports. So when it comes to Self Defense a child is not going to try to defend them self if they don’t believe they can. We work on a lot of skills in class. Forms, kicking techniques, punching techniques, self-defense techniques, and also strength training. We give them the tools needed. We also teach sparring ....

    Read more
  • Beginnings


    We have all heard the old saying. “Today is the first day of the rest of your life” That saying is partially true. In reality, this moment is the first moment of the rest of your life. Every moment of every day gives us an opportunity for a new beginning. There is an old martial arts saying – To Fall 7 times and Rise 8… Life begins from here. ” From time to time, everyone falls down. Everyone makes mistakes- even really smart and successful people. The difference between losers and winners is that winners don’t let mistakes stop them. They look at mistakes as learning experiences. Because mistakes are one way of learning what doesn’t ....

    Read more
  • Goal Setting Tips

    Goal Setting Tips

    Goal Setting This time of year is a great time to be talking about GOAL SETTING. “Goals We Set Are Goals We Get” A Goal is something you want to achieve or attain. Goal Setting Means to write your dreams and aspirations down on a piece of paper and then to make an action plan. It’s important to set goals because you can’t hit a goal you didn’t set. An example of Goal Setting is to write your Goal down and make an action plan, and then review it daily. Let me tell you a true story. There was a study done at Harvard University (which is a very important-hard to get into university) It took 20 years to finish this study. What they did was to interview ....

    Read more
  • Harrisburg & Concord Parents, Here's some Tips To Help Increase Your Child’s Focus

    Harrisburg & Concord Parents, Here's some Tips To Help Increase Your Child’s Focus

    Harrisburg & Concord Parents, Here's some Tips To Help Increase Your Child’s Focus! Focusing on a task for any length of time isn’t easy. Helping your child learn to Focus is a very important life skill. Here are some Ideas we use in our classes at Sun Martial Arts. Set Age Appropriate Task: A lot of times children lose focus because the task is either too easy or too hard. Take a close look at the task and make sure it is age appropriate for your child. Divide Big Projects Into Small Tasks: Big projects can overwhelm. Divide big task into smaller achievable successes. This will increase your child’s confidence as they complete each smaller version of the bigger ....

    Read more
  • 3 Confidence Boosting Tips For Parents

    Here are 3 Tips to help build your Child’s Confidence at home. These 3 Tips are what we use in class to help build confidence in our students. (I have also used them at home with my own kids.)
    Pre-Frame- At the beginning of class we explain to the students what we are going to do in class on that day. It may go something like this. Hey everyone today we are going to do a quick warm up, work on form and then do Self-Defense if there is time we will play a game at the end of class. At home it may go something like this, Aidan, today we need to have breakfast, then brush your teeth and get ready for school. After school I will pick you up at the bus stop and bring you home. Then ....

    Read more
  • 5 Ways To Keep Your Child Motivated To Continue Their Martial Arts Training

    5 Ways To Keep Your Child Motivated To Continue Their Martial Arts Training!
    1 . Stay and watch class ! We know with busy schedule this is a hard thing to do. But when a child looks over at mom or dad during class and see’s how excited they are that they are working hard it makes a big difference! You don’t have to stay for every class but you do not want to be the parent that constantly drops and runs. 2. Don’t Complain about Bringing your child to class. Every child is going to have a night where they do not want to come to class, or they are taking their sweet old time getting ready to go. Don’t tell them come on we need to go I have to drop you off then go ....

    Read more
  • What do kids want in a coach?

    What do kids want in a coach?

    We asked kids in an online survey: "What should a coach care about most?" You might expect them to answer "to focus on winning." But "Put me in, coach!" is what most kids really want. In fact, the majority didn't think winning was all that important. Only 7% of girls said coaches should be most concerned with winning, while about 18% of boys said so. Here's what boys and girls value most in a coach: 64% said giving everyone a chance to play 27% said teaching new skills 9% said winning Striving for excellence is a great goal, but when coaches and parents apply too much pressure, kids can get overly worried or push themselves too hard physically, leading to injuries. Some ....

    Read more
  • I Want You To Focus!

    I Want You To Focus!

    is a skill we all begin to learn on day one of our martial arts classes. We quickly understand that having good focus will be super important to learning our forms, improving our techniques, and moving through belt ranks. Focus is the ability to concentrate without being distracted. Parents:
    When watching classes you will see the kids standing at attention, sitting with their hands still or kneeling with their hand on their knees. The goal is to put kids in a position when learning so they can't be distracted by other kids moving, using their arms, squiggling around or being restless. Once the body is focused we teach the children to keep their eyes on the instructor. One of ....

    Read more
  • How Parents Can Nurture Self-Esteem

    How Parents Can Nurture Self-Esteem

    Self-esteem develops over time.
    And if it's low, it can be raised. Here are things parents can do: Help your child learn to do things. At every age, there are new things for kids to learn. Martial Arts is one of the best sports you can enroll your child because they will be learning all the time while having fun. Learning basics, the proper way to exercise, traditional martial arts kata and self defense are all skills that increase competence. Competence increased confidence and self esteem. When coaching kids how to do things, show and help them at first. Then let them do what they can, even if they make mistakes. Be sure your child has lots of opportunities to learn, try, and feel ....

    Read more

Join Us Here In Concord For The Best Martial Arts Training In Town

Request information

Request Information Now!